- Principal, The Lefton Group, LLC (Established February 2014)
- Partner, Brouse McDowell (July 2008 to February 2014)
- General Counsel, Akron Beacon Journal (2006 to June 2008)
Also at the Beacon Journal Publishing Company
- 2000 – 2006: Associate General Counsel
- 1997 – 2000: Labor Relations Manager
- 1980 – 1997: Journalist
Successful solutions in the following areas:
- Litigation involving public access to government records.
- Defense of defamation and privacy claims.
- Litigation involving breach of contract, unfair competition, violation of non-compete claims.
- Litigation involving retaliation, wrongful discharge claims.
- Unfair labor practice charges stemming from decertification petition.
- Arbitration of contract interpretation case involving Workers’ Compensation calculation.
- Arbitration of contract interpretation case involving seniority scheduling.
- Litigation alleging violation of Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act.
- Responsible for all legal and labor affairs as in-house counsel for 1,200-employee media company.
- Supreme Court of Ohio.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- U.S. Supreme Court.
- B.A., Miami University.
- J.D., University of Akron School of Law.
- EMBA, Ashland University.
Honors & Awards
- SuperLawyer designation in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- Distinguished Leader Award, 2013, Leadership Akron.
- Akron Bar Association Foundation, Board of Governors, 2011 – 2015.
- Ohio Bar Association, member, 1997 – present. Frequent presenter at Media Law conference.
- Summit County Public Defender’s Commission, 2011 – present.
- Board of Trustees, Stark State College, 2019 – present.
- Board of Directors, Akron Roundtable, 2015 – present.
- Board of Directors, Goodwill, Inc., 2009 – 2018. Honorary director, 2019 – present.
- Board of Directors, Project Learn, Inc., 2008 – 2014; board president in 2013-2014.
- Leadership Akron, Class XXIII.
- Member, Akron Rotary, 2017 – present.
- Member, Greater Akron Chamber Small Business Council, 2015 – present.
- Founding member, WUTNGA, 2014 – present.
- Women’s Endowment Fund Advisory Board, of Akron Community Foundation, 2004-2013.
- Co-Chair, Women’s Endowment Fund campaign to raise $2.013 million in 2013.